Wednesday, May 28, 2008

the school is ...

riverside! It's not 100 percent yet -- we haven't payed any money, among other things, but it looks like that's the one M's going to in the fall if all works out. It's a private Christian school, but with a secular curriculum if that makes sense -- the teachers are Christian and they teach a religious class once or twice a week, but the rest is British curriculum. I really like it because they believe in differentiation, ie they sub-divide classes by ability for most assignments. So kids can work at their own level, hooray. And the curriculum's advanced and the teachers are very nice, etc. M will start in Year 1, which is like American kindergarten. Yes, it's a year ahead, and yes, we've had to jump through hoops to manage it, but it looks like it's going to work out. M visited their reception class yesterday (4-5 year olds) to see how he would fit in with that group and the teachers were amazed. OK, they didn't say AMAZED, but I know that's what they meant. Even I was amazed, because I wasn't sure how he'd do with just one morning at a new school, but he was totally comfortable and fit in beautifully. If it doesn't work out for some reason, we'll probably go for the Montessori school. I love it too, but it's not in as convenient a part of town for us (like, not convenient at all). Anyway, I'm very excited because I think it'll be great for our little boy, and hopefully great contacts for me as well.

No comments: