Monday, March 3, 2008

peanut butter and karo syrup

A few days ago, I wanted something sweet and the house was almost bare. So I made myself some peanut butter and karo syrup sticky mess. I don't know why I thought of it -- it's probably been 10 years since I last ate it, but it's a very familiar food because my dad loves it. He used to stand in the kitchen, plate and spoon in hand, and carefully tilt the plate this way and that, swirling the mess until it was just right. As with so many delicate operations, he stuck his tongue out of the corner of his mouth while he concentrated. I love my daddy! And the karo syrup-peanut butter was pretty good the other day, but I couldn't stop thinking about how many calories are in it. Eeek!

V is a little sick, which just reminds me how endearing a sick kid can be. She's her happy self, but she has almost lost her voice. 2-year-old hoarse voice is pretty pitiful. But it's all good because she's not super-crank. On other V fronts, I'm trying to reduce the whiny voice usage in our house. V has all but perfected it and it drives me crazy. We're working on it.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I didn't know any of the second generation fell into the Karo Syrup and peanut butter trap. Luckily, you realized how caloric it is. I've never eaten it even though I've seen your dad eat a thousand platesful. When I get a hankering and the house is almost sugar free, I go for broiled cinnamon toast or a baked apple. Both comfort foods from my childhood. Amazing how your childhood comes back for you at the oddest moments.

Georgia and David said...

hee hee! I got sick off of it once. I was little b/c we were still in Decatur and I'm pretty sure it was the treat for FHE that night. I ate too much of it, I guess. Can't really stomach it anymore. But peanut butter (if you buy the right kind) is actually a good way to get good fats and protein. I can't think of anything good to say about karo syrup, however...

Morgan said...

I know, right? Karo syrup is not a healthy food. Some people eat peanut butter with honey, which is a little better. Maybe. Anyway, I usually eat my peanut butter straight.